Happy 4th of July! As we celebrate our nation's independence, we wanted to inspire you with a delicious, plant-powered recipe for your summer BBQ. Toss out the hot dogs and processed meats and revitalize yourself with foods that will energize. The World Health Organization has labeled processed meats, which include hot dogs, sausage, bacon, ham and deli meats as group 1 carcinogenic. This means there is significant evidence that it causes cancer in humans. Other group 1 carcinogenics include tobacco smoke and asbestos. The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council estimate Americans consume 20 billion hot dogs per year! Instead, fill your bodies with foods such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes and nuts that will prevent instead of promote disease.
The recipe below for carrot hot dogs can be your main event at your 4th of July celebration. Believe us, we were skeptical at first too but they're awesome! Give them a try! Skewers are also a delicious option threaded with marinated vegetables or a portobello mushroom marinated in BBQ sauce. And there is nothing like fresh corn on the cob! Click here for more delicious 4th of July recipe ideas.
If you'd like to learn more about how to incorporate more plant-based meals to greatly improve your health, please join us Saturday, July 16th from 11 am - 4 pm for Revitalizing Your Health: A Roadmap to Wellness & Weight Loss. Numerous studies have shown that a diet built from plant foods offers the most cancer & heart disease fighting protection of any diet plan. It also works well for weight loss! Learn in this informative class how food can do just that for you!
Carrot Hot Dogs
Servings: Makes 8 “hot dogs” (depend on how you cut the carrots)
8 large carrots, scrubbed, with the ends cut off (thinned to hot dog width if necessary and cut to the size of the hot dog bun)
¼ cup Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce)
¼ cup water
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
½ tablespoon coconut sugar
½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
¼ teaspoon smoke
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon dried ginger
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon granulated onion powder
2-4 whole wheat hot dog buns
desired hot dog toppings
1. Steam or boil carrots for approximately 10-12 minutes, or until fork tender but not mushy. Be careful testing carrots.
2. While the carrots are cooking, whisk together the Bragg’s, water, vinegars, toasted sesame oil, liquid smoke, and seasonings.
3. Combine the warm carrots and the marinade in a zipper gallon-size bag, or in shallow dish or pan. Shake gently until the carrots are coated with the marinade. Marinade for an hour or up to 24 hours (in the fridge) for more flavor.
4. To cook, spray a heated skillet with a small amount of cooking spray. Remove carrots from the marinade and braise the carrots in a lightly oiled skillet on medium heat to brown. Then add about 2 tablespoons or so of the marinade (the more marinade you use, the more flavor/salty). Heat the carrots for approximately 2-3 minutes more, or until warm and browned and the marinade has evaporated. These can also be grilled, sprayed or brushed lightly with cooking oil.
5. Serve on a toasted bun with all of your favorite fixings.